Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Name Change


After only one week I decided to change the name of the blog. I did not really care for the original name but I could not think of anything else.

I read recently in a nutrition book: “we should not worry so much about losing weight as we should about gaining health.”  It is better to put our emphasis on health gains rather than pounds lost. Losing weight is hard. It takes discipline, self-control and patience. I have started many times down the diet path only to fail. What is different now? I am, or at least my attitude is. And attitude is everything.  When I started, I wanted to lose weight but I also wanted to feel better.  After only one week of eating healthy I did feel better and that kept me going. There were times when I was discouraged because I wanted to lose weight faster. Every day I stayed with it because I liked the way I was starting to feel and I knew it takes time to lose weight.

There was an old saying: “At least you have your health.”  This was meant to encourage people with other problems and remind them of the blessing of good health.  Even when everything around you is great, if you are in poor health, you cannot enjoy the other things.  In some cases we have no control over health. We get the flu or a cold or worse. But good diet and exercise goes a long way in preventing disease, especially the more serious ones. We can tell ourselves we will eat this or not eat that so we will feel better tomorrow.


We make choices every day, every meal, every snack. We also make a choice to sit on our butts or go for a walk.  We need to focus on these choices. Eventually we will feel better and hopefully the weight will come off. Slow is actually better for weight loss.  Statistically a person who loses 10-20 pounds in six months is much more likely to keep it off then someone who loses 120 pounds in 6 months. We can’t always control weight fluctuations but we can control what we eat and how much we exercise. After we make several healthy choices in a row we do start to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment